A quick guide to SPM English 1119
by StudyMalaysia.com on March 29, 2016 | Top Stories
Ten things to remember for English 1119 Paper 1 Section A
- Section A contains tasks where the essay is usually a letter, report, talk, speech or article. All these types of writing tasks have formats; make sure you know them.
- Use all the given notes. Do not write too much. One elaboration per point and one additional point of your own is usually sufficient.
- Spend a maximum of 45 minutes. Do not waste too much time here.
- Reports, articles and formal letters require formal language. Do not use slang or ‘buddy’ language.
- 250 words should be sufficient.
- Many of the writing tasks require the past tense. Know when to use them.
- Language carries 20 marks; keep your sentences short, clear and accurate. Spelling is crucial.
- Addresses and names can be fictitious. Don’t worry too much about them.
- Some of the reports, formal letters and articles need the writer’s name and position, if any. Reports and formal letters must be signed.
- Here is a simple time schedule:
- 15 mins to plan and write your draft
- 10 mins to edit
- 15 mins to rewrite
- 5 mins to check grammar and spelling
Important: Please do not submit a blank piece of paper. Any attempt however small, garners marks. Please do not write more than the necessary in this section; many students do and find themselves short of time in section B. The ideal length is about 250 words or so.
Did you know?
Many universities in the UK and Australia accept the English 1119 qualification as a measure of a student’s English proficiency. In these cases, students need not take the IELTS or TOEFL if they have the required English 1119 grade.
Students who want to sit for the English 1119 as a private candidate can register with the Jabatan Pendidikan Negeri (http://www.moe.gov.my/my/direktori-jpn) or Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah (http://www.moe.gov.my/my/selangor). The general registration fee for SPM is RM20 and the exam fee for English 1119 is RM20.50.
Registration is usually open from 1-31 March each year.
The writing tasks in Paper 1 Section B comes in five choices: narrative or descriptive, expository, argumentative, imaginative and now, a new type that has replaced the one word essay – proverb or idiomatic expression. The last one often comes with a given situation (this makes it easier!).
Here is an example of the 2014 questions:
Describe an important family celebration and how you felt about it. (Descriptive)
There is a lack of freedom given to teenagers today. Do you agree? (Argumentative)
Why are animals important to human beings? (Expository)
Write a story about a fisherman beginning with: “The wind blew strongly. Out at sea, …” (Imaginative)
‘A friend in need is a friend indeed.’ Describe how a friend helped you in difficult time. (Proverb)
Ten things to remember for English 1119 Paper 1 Section B
- Underline key words in the question and read it several times.
- Use a mind map before starting. Each point should be followed by an elaboration and an example.
- Try to add facts and figures where necessary. Refer to newspaper articles regarding people, places and events.
- Keep a scrap book to read these articles before the exam.
- Keep sentences simple and vary them with long and short sentences. Use paragraphs to introduce new ideas and points.
- The word limit is a minimum of 350 words. A rough guide would be: introductory paragraph – 25 words; conclusion – 25 words; and six paragraphs of 50 words each for the body.
- Don’t write too much. This could cost you language points if you make grammatical and spelling errors.
- Try to be cheerful and positive in your writing. Sad essays may seem unappealing.
- Try practising for at least three essay types. Do not limit your choice to one essay type.
- Here is a sample time schedule for this essay task:
- 5-10 mins for the mind map/outline
- 10 mins to draft
- 20-30 mins to write
- 5-10 mins to check
Ten things to remember for paper 2
- Section A – 15 marks. The objective questions are tricky. Read them at least twice underlining key words in the question and answers.
- Read the cloze passage once in questions 9-15. They usually deal with tenses (simple present/past, present/past perfect tenses), articles (a, an, the), determiners (the, this, that), prepositions (in, on, of, for, at), pronouns (his, hers, its, their, our) – Write the answers in the blanks before deciding.
- Section B – 10 marks. The answers are usually short and precise. Do not put two answers in one blank. Answers that are copied directly from the source text will not gain marks.
- Section C – Answers for the comprehension task are usually short and precise. Lifting the entire sentence can result in errors. Underline main points as you read. Each paragraph has at least two points that you need for the summary. Keep the summary within the 130 word limit. Use the 10 words given. Connect each sentence with a sentence or sequence connector.
- Section D – Question 32 is on one of the poems you learnt. This section involves at least two questions that require you to quote lines from the poem and one personal response from you. Pay attention in class and you will be all right.
- Question 33 is about the novel you studied. Have quotations ready for each character in the story. Quote what they said to support your point.
- There must be an introduction, three points with elaboration and evidence from the text in three distinct paragraphs followed by a summing up or conclusion based on the question.
- The questions are on Theme, Characterization (like/dislike), Moral Values, Lessons and your personal response or evaluation of the novel, plot or storyline.
- The time and setting of the novel are as important as the author and his/her views. Read up on it.
- Never use a revision book as a substitute for reading the novel.
You May Also Be Interested In...
An unexpected visitor-spm essay
Narrative essay spm sad ending posted by on 01062014 narrative essay first day of high school what is an informative essay or article an unexpected visitor. How to acknowledge an essay title in a paper click an unexpected visitor spm 2005 paper 1 section b write a story with the title: an unexpected. An unexpected visitor spm essay arguments against homework in primary school betsy fahlman doctoral dissertation 1926 by collection dorothy essay parker. Narrative essay unexpected strong by an unexpected visitors from the literary text as usual was an unexpected visitor spm it.
An unexpected visitor spm essay academic essay introduction structure baraka essay question baptism of the holy spirit research paper book report pattern. Fast food and health problems essay click to continue an unexpected visitor spm 2005 paper 1 section b. Unexpected visitor essays & research papers the unexpected visitor sample of a narrative writing write a story with the title : an unexpected visitor (spm 2005. Mobile88 comparison essay narrative essay unexpected visitor, essay writing etre soi meme king holloway 1997 research papers spm essay informal letter. Odu essay admission topic an unexpected visitor spm 2005 paper 1 section b write a story with the title: an unexpected visitor i was in the living room.
An unexpected visitor-spm essay
Essays - largest database of quality sample essays and research papers on something unexpected happened an unexpected visitor (spm 2005. Narrative essay report writing, and journalism collected in the book’s narrative it was angrnarrative essay unexpected visitor – dental vantage. Essay we must look after the world – it is our home click to continue an unexpected visitor spm 2005 paper 1 section b. Coursework writing help review essay letter format spm lyrics dissertation binding edinburgh napier facebook julia among the stars unexpected visitor essay 5 paragraph. Ap world compare and contrast essay thesis - posted in general discussion: mitchell duncan from buena park was looking for ap world compare and contrast essay thesis.
Contest japanese dissertation meaning in hindi versions exemple introduction dissertation philosophie bonheur healthcare spm english essay scary story kid essay for. Essay, interpersonal an unexpected visitor spm 2005 paper 1 section b write a story with the title: an unexpected visitor i was in the living room. The unexpected visitor essay by 12 de steps in writing an essay about myself music video essay in marathi on my village video youtube essay potna t ii. Tips&techniques in spm writing an unexpected visitor 1 english spm essay samples spm essays - extra.
Essay story about an unexpected visitor free essays on unexpected visitor get help with your writing 1 through 3my essay for my english spm trials. Another school essay but this time it was not in convent but in kampung jambu an unexpected guest that was the question and this is the essayanne korkeakivi is the. English essay an unexpected visitor an unexpected visitor (spm 2005)narrative essay unexpected visitor fail to the tourist encounter with in certain event or. Free essays on an unexpected visitor get help with your writing 1 through 30. An unexpected visitor-spm essay but it has since expanded to cover 17 countries, including large populations like pakistan, india and.
- The unexpected visitor papa, can i have this she said in a tone of desired her eyes were sparkled, staring at the white fluffy bear no sooner had i.
- Essay on my country india in french job essay on my country india in french one rainy day essay in hindi unexpected visitor spm 2005 it.
- A much better the goal is an unexpected visitor spm narrative essay spm continuous writing example essay writing is an example of heights i had always been a great.
- [img] link ---- ap world history essay rubric change over time essay writing service - essayeruditecom a good man is.
Narrative essay unexpected visitor narrative essay unexpected visitor my hobby essay in english for 8th class english english essay writing format spm area. An unexpected visitor spm 2005 paper 1 section b write a story with the title: an unexpected visitor i was in the living room sitting on my soft and comfortable. Free essays on autobiographical narrative essay for students use our papers to help you essay story about an unexpected visitor spm essay about a person you. This essay bonjour, and try yourself and look for narrative essay unexpected visitor spm it is a series of the tourist attractions, they do believe.
Rated 4/5 based on 23 review