- 1st Linda Hoagland from Tazewell, Virginia - "Fresh Food"
- 2nd Rachel Reese from Niceville, Florida - "Aged to Perfection"
- 3rd Victoria Rose from Oldham, KY- "The Story of Us"
- HM David B. Prather Parkersburg, WV - "I Wish That We Were Birds"
- HM Donna Rose Toney from Lewisburg, WV- "Mountain Home"
- HM Marion R. Kee from Redmond, WA - "Removed"
- 1st Susan Sheppard from Parkersburg, WV - "The Indians on the Hill"
- 2nd Susan Sheppard from Parkersburg, WV - "Visit to the Moonshiner's House"
- 3rd Ben Campbell from Lewisburg, WV - "Easter Weekend, West Virginia, 2015"
- HM David B. Prather from Parkersburg, WV - "On the Occasion of Solemnity"
- HM Earl R. Keener from Bethany, WV - "Can'tilevered"
- HM Chad Burrall from Wheeling, WV - "Heading up Williams"
- 1st Susan Sheppard from Parkersburg, WV - "The Flowering Afterlife"
- 2nd Don Narkevic from Weston, WV - "Many Sparrows"
- 3rd Chad Burrall from Wheeling, WV - "Fretbored"
- HM Sherrell R. Wigal from Parkersburg, WV - "Almanac Moons"
Emerging Writers Poetry
- 1st Alice Beecher from Hillsboro, WV - "Holler"
- 2nd Chad Burrall from Wheeling, WV - "Ramshorn"
- 3rd Heather L. Noble from Vienna, WV - "Run"
- HM Chad Burrall from Wheeling, WV - "Farming on the Fourth of July"
- HM Nancy Belle Anderson from Morgantown, WV - "Paper"
- HM Denise Huard from Romney, WV - "Insomnia"
Emerging Writers Prose
- 1st Jesse Gresham from Mortantown, WV - "Scrubland Blues"
- 2nd Nathan Rucker from Huntington, WV - "A Part from Judy"
- 3rd Angela Lopez from Mt. Hope, WV - "How it Works"
- HM Katherine Shook from Charles Town, WV - "'Neath Granny's Wing"
- HM Henry Ireys from Paw Paw, WV - "Splitting Wood with Maxwell"
- HM Henry T. Ireys from Paw Paw, WV - "The Sorting Season"
- 1st Ted White from Wheeling, WV - "Black Hat"
- 2nd Jordan Carter from Morgantown, WV - "Jesus. A Junk Drawer”
- 3rd Timothy Huguenin from Pinedale, WY - "The Puddle Girl of St. George"
- HM George M. Lies from Morgantown, WV - "A Stand Still"
- HM Anna Dickson James from Charleston, WV - "Limbo Party"
- HM Henry T. Ireys from Paw Paw, WV - "The Sorting Season"
Book Length Prose
- 1st Lisa A. McCombs from Monongah, WV - "Bombs Bursting in Air"
- 2nd Catherine Baldau from Harpers Ferry, WV - "In Silent Company"
- 3rd Ben Campbell from Lewisburg, WV - "The Woodcarver's Hands"
- HM Ceason Ranson from Ripley, WV - "The Thirteen"
- HM Joseph Bird from St. Albans, WV - "Song of the Lost"
- HM Joseph Bird from Albans, WV - "A Prayer for Rain"
- 1st Juliana Jones from Daniels, WV - "The Final Segment"
- 2nd Karen DePinto from Kettering, Ohio - "The Story of Ribbon and Spicy"
- 3rd Juliana Jones from Daniels, WV - "Churning Through the Waters of Deception"
- HM Janet Smart from Ripley, WV - "Hummers: Jewels in Flight"
- HM Kally Hall from Hurricane, WV - "Eve"
- HM Katherine P. Manley from Chapmanville, WV - "Bubble Gum Man"
- 1st Larry "Rock-N-Roll" Schardt from Lewistown, PA - "The Magic of Gratitude"
- 2nd Larry "Rock-N-Roll" Schardt from Lewistown, PA - "On the Edge"
- 3rd Ceason Ranson from Ripley, WV - "The Lenny Bruce of the David Lee Cancer Center"
- HM Leah D. Meyers from Pentress, WV - "Midnight Train"
- HM Maria McKelvey from Valley Head, WV - "She's Leaving"
- HM Christine Roth from Charleston, WV - "It Starts with Blood"
- HM Cynthia McCloud from Kingwood, WV - "A Strand of Hope"
- 1st Mason Helmintoller from Sun City, Arizona - "Bluestone"
- 2nd Beverly Cooper from Glenville, WV - "Cairn"
- 3rd Ted White from Wheeling, WV - "Black Hat"
- HM Karin Fuller from Hurricane, WV - "When Monsters are Made"
- HM Claire Stuart from Glengary, WV - "Crowning Glory”
- HM Melanie Vickers Charleston, WV - "Hummingbird"
- 1st Jonathan Joy from Huntington, WV - "Pilfering Rome"
- 2nd Jonathan Joy from Huntington, WV - "Down on Sandusky Road"
- 3rd Jason Halbleib from Marietta, Oh - "Locked Room Misery"
- HM Jonathan Joy from Huntington, WV - "Buck vs. The Great Chili Monster”
- HM J. DeLauder from Aurora, WV - "The People at the Edge of Town"
T.W. McNemar Memorial Humor
- 1st Laura Jackson Roberts from Wheeling, WV - "Raccoon Reviews Local Establishments on Yelp"
- 2nd Ellen Moore from Beckley, WV - "There's a Fly in my Soup"
- 3rd Laura Jackson Roberts from Wheeling, WV - "Cricket - or - What the Police Report Would Have Said If I Hadn't Gotten It Out of My Car"
- HM Laura Jackson Roberts from Wheeling, WV - "The Chiroptophobic's Guide to Marriage"
- HM Mary Lucille DeBerry from Morgantown, WV - "You are the Girl…"
- HM Jeff Tigchelaar from Huntington, WV - "Late Snack"
Pearl S. Buck Award for Writing for Social Change
- 1st Catherine Johnston from Charleston, WV - "Breathe"
- 2nd Maria McKelvey from Valley Head, WV - "She's Leaving"
- 3rd Dawn A. Baldwin from Bartow, WV - "Ode to Stickerz: A Hen to Love"
- HM Ben Campbell from Lewisburg, WV - "The Golden Shoe"
- HM Patty Rosebourgh from Charleston, WV - "Echoes in the Hills"
- HM Cheryl Kula from Hinton, Wv - "My Daughter's Face"
New Mountain Voices Student Writing Contest
- 1st Tyler Kincaid from Beckley, WV who attends Mount Hope Elementary - "Brothers"
- 2nd Kaitlyn Eichelberger from Bruceton Mills, WV who attends Bruceton School - "The Wilderness Wish"
- 3rd Hailey Greaver from Weston, WV who attends Jane Lew Elementary - "Cartoon Adventures"
- HM Veronica Noel from Fairmont, WV who is homeschooled - "Sleep"
- HM Evangelia Joy Berry from Morgantown WV who is homeschooled- "The Forgotten Lighthouse"
- HM Madalyn Haddix from Rosemont, WV who attends Fleminton - "A Little Super Hero"
- 1st Van Johnson from Bridgeport, WV who attends Bridgeport Middle School - "My Great Adventure through West Virginia"
- 2nd Emilee Payne from Beckley, WV who attends Beckley Straton Middle School - "Home Alone"
- 3rd Ksusha Lowry-Neufeld from Shepherdstown, WV who attends Morgan Academy - "Spring to Me"
- HM Zara Zervos from Wheeling, WV who attends Sherrad Middle - "Ludy's Library"
- HM Hannah Bex from McMechen, WV who attends Sherrad Middle - "The Bed of Roses"
- HM Ksusha Lowry-Neufeld from Shepherdstown, WV who attends Morgan Academy - "September Nights"
- 1st Taylor Greaver from Weston, WV who attends Lewis Co. High School - "Blue Eyes"
- 2nd Bailey D. McInturff from Beckley, WV who attends Woodrow Wilson High School - "Tomatoes"
- 3rd Callie McDonald from Dellslow, WV who attends Morgantown High School - "Fallen Witch"
- 1st Place Trinity Nocholas – “Don’t Say F__k”
- 2nd Place Elaine Satterfield – “My Eyes have Seen”
- 3rd Place Diane Feaganes – “Come Fly with Me!”
- 1st Place Cynthia McCloud – “Marmalade”
- 2nd Place Brad Mills – “The Cut”
- 3rd Place Jessica Nelson – “Performing Pain”
People’s Choice Prose – Friday
- 1st Place Trinny Sigler – “Junkies on Bikes”
- 2nd Place Kate Dooly – We Thought That’s How the World Was”
- 3rd Place Eric Fritzius – “Insight”
People’s Choice Poetry – Friday
- 1st Place Trinny Sigler – “Billy Bon and his Heritage: A Rebuttal to the Walmart Political Debate”
- 2nd Place Philip Cotter – “Icicles”
- 3rd Place Nicole Yurcaba – “Shastokovich Saturday”
People’s Choice – Youth
- 1st Place Jonathan Schwitzerlette – “The Consternation of Gammon”
- 1st Place Julia Pritt – “Bully”
People’s Choice Poetry – Saturday
- 1st Place Trinny Sigler – “They Sling Words”
- 2nd Place David Knight – “Ten Cents”
- 3rd Place Nancy Belle – “When Apples Cry”
People’s Choice Prose – Saturday
- 1st Place Christine Roth – “Cars and Prayers”
- 2nd Place Lee Doty – “Excerpt from Tidel Kin”
- 3rd Place Trinny Sigler – “The Patron Saint of Crack Whores”
These are the QLRS issues to date.
Vol. 17 No. 1 Jan 2018 - Wood for the Trees
Poems by Peter J. King, Rodrigo Dela Peña Jr and Theophilus Kwek, short stories by Victor Fernando R. Ocampo and Lily C. Fen alongside a paired story by Phan Ming Yen and Faith Leong, essays by Manfred Weidhorn and Tom Wade, review of Nicholas Yong's Track Faults, while Proust doesn't ask Tash Aw (nor Rob Doyle nor Teng Qian Xi) why Singapore doesn't produce great writers.
Vol. 16 No. 4 Oct 2017 - Ave, Imperator
Poems by Wahid Al Mamun, Lyde Sison Villanueva, Jared Pearce and Samuel Caleb Wee, short stories by Jinny Koh, Judith Huang and Daniel Emlyn-Jones, Ranjani Rao on becoming an immigrant for the second time, reviews of Philip Holdens's Heaven Has Eyes and Nuraliah Norasid's The Gatekeeper, while Proust turns the tables with Daren Shiau and Qiu Xiaolong.
Vol. 16 No. 3 Jul 2017 - Piece of glass left there on a beach
Poems by Jerome Lim, Daryl Lim, Brylle B. Tabora and Gary Langford, short stories by Lily C. Fen and Lydia Kwa, essay on the poetic view of aging by Manfred Weidhorn, reviews of Balli Kaur Jaswal's Sugarbread and Catherine Lim's An Equal Joy, while Proust sits down with Jeremy Tiang and Tse Hao Guang.
Vol. 16 No. 2 Apr 2017 - No Reservations Required
Poems by Ang Shuang, Teo Xiao Ting, Joshua Ip and Steven Ratiner, short stories by Zhu Yuan Laura, Michaela Anchan, Phan Ming Yen and O Thiam Chin, essays by Boey Kim Cheng, Lee Tse Mei and David Fedo, reviews of Dream Storeys, In Transit and Singapore Love Stories, Extra Media takes in Italian neorealist cinema and Terence Davies, and Proust does Balli Kaur Jaswal.
Vol. 16 No. 1 Jan 2017 - Black Ships
Poems by Holly Day, Derrick Cham and See Wern Hao, short stories by Natasya Ismail and Inez Tan, essays by Hong Yuchen and David Fedo, review of Tania De Rozario alongside a roundup, and Proust Questionnaires with Gerður Kristný, Tan Twan Eng and Julie Koh.
Vol. 15 No. 4 Oct 2016 - Bombs bursting in air
Poems by Daryl Lim Wei Jie, Edward Eng, Jerrold Yam and Yu Yan Chen, short stories by Jonathan Tan, Erwin Cabucos, Daniel Emlyn-Jones and Lily C. Fen, essays by Rebecca Tan and David Fedo, reviews of Krishna Udayasankar, Daryl Qilin Yam and Euginia Tan alongside a roundup pumped up by SWF, and Proust Qs with Lydia Kwa and Marc Nair.
Vol. 15 No. 3 Jul 2016 - Upon Further Reflection
Poems by Ian C. Smith, Robert Lietz and Jennifer Anne Champion, short stories by Daryl Yam, Nuraliah Norasid and Qing Yang, Letter from America by David Fedo, reviews of Written Country, Jon Gresham, Sarah Howe and Marc Nair, alongside a roundup, and Proust Questionnaire with Nicholson Baker.
Vol. 15 No. 2 Apr 2016 - Larks, still bravely singing, fly
Poems by Joshua Uyheng, Paul M. Jerusalem and B.B.P. Hosmillo, short stories by Peter Barlow, O Thiam Chin, Melissa de Silva and Antony Johae, essays by Theophilus Kwek, Jiaying Lim and David Fedo, reviews of T.S. Eliot's newest Collected alongside a roundup, and Proust Questionnaire with Jerrold Yam.
Vol. 15 No. 1 Jan 2016 - Fortune and Olives
Poems by Michael Farrell, Camille Rivera, Simon Perchik and Amanda Chong, short stories by Vineetha Mokkil and Melissa de Silva, Letter from America by David Fedo, reviews of Jee Leong Koh, Jeremy Tiang, Goh Poh Seng and Troy Chin alongside a roundup, and Proust Questionnaires with Shelly Bryant, Mong-Lan and Atia Abawi.
Vol. 14 No. 4 Oct 2015 - Objectively Speaking
Poems by Steven Ratiner, Ruth Tang, Peter Bakowski and Colin James, short stories by Catherina Garcia Dario, Inez Tan and Alice Bianchi-Clark, Letter from America by David Fedo, reviews of Yeo Wei Wei and Sonny Liew alongside the first For the Record, and Proust Questionnaires with Madeleine Thien and Pooja Nansi.
Vol. 14 No. 3 Jul 2015 - Fifty-Fifty
Poems by Michael Fessler, Jerrold Yam, Yong Shu Hoong and Lana Bella, short stories by Shelly Bryant, Jov Almero, O Thiam Chin and Edmund Price, essays by Y.S. Pek and David Fedo, a Rohan Naidu visual poem in Extra Media and Proust Questionnaires with Githa Hariharan and Desmond Kon Zhicheng-Mingdé.
Vol. 14 No. 2 Apr 2015 - Well those passions read
Poems by Yong Shu Hoong, Wei Tai Ting, Ranjani Murali and Antony Johae, short stories by Yeo Wei Wei, Daryl Yam and Phan Ming Yen, essays by Koh Jee Leong, Yuen Sin and David Fedo, review of James Shea's The Lost Novel, Proust Questionnaire with Sabata-Mpho Mokae and PP Wong, and the Acid Tongue takes a break.
Vol. 14 No. 1 Jan 2015 - Tropic of Cancer
Poems by Theophilus Kwek, Stephanie Chan and Regina Derieva, short stories by Joseph Ng Zhen Ye, Mark Crimmins and Daniel Emlyn-Jones, Letter from America by David Fedo, reviews of Justin Ker, Aaron Lee, Joshua Ferris and A Luxury We Cannot Afford, Proust Questionnaire with Anja Utler, and Jess C. Scott brings a new perspective to the Acid Tongue.
Vol. 13 No. 4 Oct 2014 - Fire Wire
Poems by Ian C. Smith, Remus Ang and Yeow Kai Chai, short stories by Kane Wheatley-Holder, Jinny Koh, Philip Holden, Daryl Yam, Grace Chia Krakovic and Sabah Sanhouri, essays by Chew Yi Wei, Daryl Li and David Fedo, reviews of Christine Chia and Troy Chin, interviews with Aaron Lee, Christopher Merrill, Peter Nazareth and Jaya Savige, two art-poetry pieces by Nurul Wahidah, and the Acid Tongue's butter wouldn't melt in its mouth.
Vol. 13 No. 3 Jul 2014 - Opposites Detract
Poems by Tse Hao Guang, B.B.P. Hosmillo, Rodrigo Dela Peña and Subashini Navaratnam, short stories by Clara Chow, Leonard Seet, Desmond Kon and Shom Biswas, essays by Zhang Ruihe and David Fedo, reviews of Arthur Yap's Collected Poems and Collected Short Stories as well as Jolene Tan, interviews with Fong Hoe Fang and Amir Muhammad, and the Acid Tongue sees a book that should be kept under the veil.
Vol. 13 No. 2 Apr 2014 - Downtown and Circle
Poems by Jerrold Yam, Jena Woodhouse, Charles Cantrell and Ian C. Smith, short stories by Lydia Kwa, Shelly Bryant, Desmond Kon, Angelo Lacuesta and Daniel Emlyn-Jones, essays by Koh Jee Leong and David Fedo, reviews of O Thiam Chin, Yong Shu Hoong and Gregory Nalpon, interviews with George Szirtes and Christian Bök, and the Acid Tongue looks at someone who doesn't go Foer enough.
Vol. 13 No. 1 Jan 2014 - Colours to the Mast
Poems by Jena Woodhouse, Zhang Ruihe, Stefani Tran and B.B.P. Hosmillo, short stories by Samantha Toh, Cyril Wong, Rebecca Levick and Anurak Saelaow Hao, essays by Chew Yi Wei and David Fedo, reviews of Amanda Lee Koe and Mayo Martin, interviews with Claire Tham, Romesh Gunesekera and Cathy Park Hong, and the Acid Tongue drips on duffing down.
Vol. 12 No. 4 Oct 2013 - Birch Bark Month
Poems by Trish Shishikura, Steven Ratiner, Jerrold Yam and B.B.P. Hosmillo, short stories by Jeremy Tiang, Amanda Lee Koe, Khanh Ha and Verena Tay, essays by Koh Jee Leong, Clarissa Oon and David Fedo, reviews of The Inlet, Bricks in the Wall and Floating on a Malayan Breeze, interviews with Ken Liu and Koh Jee Leong, and the Acid Tongue becomes a glamour-puss.
Vol. 12 No. 3 Jul 2013 - Hawker from a handsaw
Poems by Tim Suermondt, Sooey Valencia, Ann Ang, Loh Guang Liang and Jane Joritz-Nakagawa, short stories by Amanda Lee, Samantha Heng and Rheea Mukherjee, essays by Jessica Lee Patterson, Robert J. Cardullo and David Fedo, review of Eastern Heathens, interviews with Robert Pinsky and Gwee Li Sui, and the Acid Tongue goes on the straight and narrow.
Vol. 12 No. 2 Apr 2013 - All Broken Down and Dancing
Poems by Pat Galvin, Ian C. Smith, Zhang Jieqiang, Sooradeep Roy and B.B.P. Hosmillo, short stories by Stephanie Ye, Phan Ming Yen, Yong Shu Hoong, Paul Tan and O Thiam Chin, essays by Chew Yi Wei and David Fedo, reviews of Alvin Pang, Lee Jing-Jing, Dave Chua, Mark Strand and Goro Takano, interviews with Marjorie Perloff and Lee Tzu Pheng, and the Acid Tongue goes all Zen.
Vol. 12 No. 1 Jan 2013 - Vaguely, Comically, Essentially
Poems by Koh Jee Leong, Lolito Go, Jean Hui Ng and Mary Jean Chan, short stories by Bert Wee, Daniel Emlyn-Jones, Koh Choon Hwee and Daryl Lim, essays by Yuen Sin, David Fedo, Angus Whitehead and Zhang Ruihe, reviews of Balik Kampung, Felix Cheong and Koh Jee Leong, interviews with John Tranter and John Yau, and the Acid Tongue explores the Broidoverse.
Vol. 11 No. 4 Oct 2012 - Enlivening the Soil
Poems by David Wong Hsien Ming, Ian C. Smith, Dominique C. Santos and David Flynn, short stories by O Thiam Chin, Amanda Lee and Jen Wei Ting, interviews with Jeet Thayil, O Thiam Chin, Theophilus Kwek and Dave Chua, essays by Chew Yi Wei and Zhang Ruihe, reviews of Ouyang Yu, Christine Chia, Colin Cheong and Stephanie Ye, and to round off the Acid Tongue sketches an American catfight.
Vol. 11 No. 3 Jul 2012 - Always toward, toward
Poems by W.F. Lantry, Allen Samsuya, Jerrold Yam and Desmond Kon, short stories by Ouyang Yu, Glenn Diaz, John Sheng and Angie Ho Guyoton, interview with Michael Farrell, reviews of Robert Yeo's One anthology and Alfian Sa'at's Malay Sketches, and the Acid Tongue continues to shoot fish in a barrel.
Vol. 11 No. 2 Apr 2012 - Living in a Bubble
Poems by Juliet Chia, Corey Kupfer, Tammy Ho and Arthur Leung, short stories by Daryl Yam, Samantha Toh, David Flynn and Jon Gresham, essays by Lauren Mills and Chan Yi Wen, interview with Boey Kim Cheng, review of Chris Mooney-Singh, and the Acid Tongue keeps up bashing contemporary American poetry.
Vol. 11 No. 1 Jan 2012 - Ginger over a slow flame
Poems by Laksmi Pamuntjak, Judith Huang, Ng Xi Jie and Michelle Kwok, short stories by Chris Murray and Peggy Lee, essays by Robert J. Cardullo and Arunabh Saikia, interviews with Andrew Koh and Alice Pung, reviews of Meira Chand, Angeline Yap, Robert Yeo and Troy Chin, and the Acid Tongue on why American poetry is vacuous.
Vol. 10 No. 4 Oct 2011 - One More Than Nine
Poems by Boey Kim Cheng, Marjorie Evasco, Charmaine L. Carreon, Bernard Henrie and Bob Bradshaw, short stories by O Thiam Chin, Stephanie Ye, Yeo Wei Wei, Aaron Lee, Heng Siok Tian and Chang Ya Lan, an essay by Jamie Lin Weirong on writing in the context of life and death, a photo essay on Istanbul, and the QLRS Proust Questionnaire (answered by Paul Tan) joins up with the Acid Tongue as a new feature.
Vol. 10 No. 3 Jul 2011 - Making the connection
Poems by Michelle Tan, Ian Chung, Anurak Saelaow Hao, Ronn Andrew F. Angeles and Silvestar Vrljić, short stories by Natalie Marinho, Meera Nair and Royston Tester, an essay by Joanne Leow on lieux de mémoire, reviews of Tan Tarn How and Koh Jee Leong, and the Acid Tongue slings mud in the playground.
Vol. 10 No. 2 Apr 2011 - Franchise Value
Poems by Jennifer Wong, Zhang Ruihe, Tammy Ho Lai-Ming and Jerrold Yam, short stories by O Thiam Chin, Jennifer Wong, G.J. Reynolds and Angie Ho Guyoton, an essay by Manfred Weidhorn on the slipperiness of meanings, reviews of the graphic novel adaptation of Dave Chua's Gone Case, and the Acid Tongue goes to Canada.
Vol. 10 No. 1 Jan 2011 - Sweetened Discernment
Poems by Lee Sung-Mi, Bernard Henrie, Desmond Kon and Kent MacCarter, short stories by Alfian Sa'at, Jeremy Tiang and Lee Wei Fen, an essay on Saint Jack and its insights into bygone Singapore, reviews of John Mateer, Cyril Wong and Chandran Nair, and the Acid Tongue looks at Steven Johnson's good ideas.
Vol. 9 No. 4 Oct 2010 - Tabula rasa
Poems by Paul Lobo Portugés, Anne Babson, Wendy Gan and Ann Ang, short stories by Lee Yew Leong, Fehmida Zakeer and Huang Kaishan, essays on Milton versus Shakespeare and on Rem Koolhaas's perspective on Singapore, reviews of Fifty on 50, Grace Chua and Yong Shu Hoong, and the Acid Tongue asks if Robin Robertson wrecks his own light.
Vol. 9 No. 3 Jul 2010 - Dipping and Swerving
Poems by Jason Lee, Holly Day, Anthony Robbins, Tammy Ho and Yeow Kai Chai, short stories by Stephanie Ye, Annabeth Leow, Eileen Chong and Ram Govardhan, reviews of Writing Singapore, Wena Poon, C.K. Williams and Lydia Kwa, an essay on the mise en abyme in The Aspern Papers and L'Ecole de la Chair, and the Acid Tongue looks at the trouble with Billy Collins.
Vol. 9 No. 2 Apr 2010 - Under the firelight, under the brush
Poems by Cyril Wong, George Moore, Jal Nicholl and Andrew Burke, short stories by Alfian Sa'at, Jason Erik Lundberg, Wang Yisi and Angie Ho Guyoton, reviews of Koh Jee Leong, David Oliveira, David Fedo and Mary O'Donnell, an essay on the judicial opinions in fairy tales, an interview with Fiona Sze-Lorain, and the Acid Tongue doing trailers.
Vol. 9 No. 1 Jan 2010 - Much in danger, oft in woe
Poems by Keith Flynn, Tammy Ho, Joanne Leow, Yvonne Koh and Lee Jing-Jing , short stories by Lee Wei Fen, Miguel Ángel Mendo, Philip Holden, Lee Yew Leong and Lee Jing-Jing, reviews of Tumasik, Reflecting on the Merlion and Interlogue 8, and the Acid Tongue watches William Logan savaging Louise Glück.
Vol. 8 No. 4 Oct 2009 - Sound the Retreat
Poems by Pat Galvin, John Mateer, Mark A. Murphy and Gan See Siong, short stories by Jessica Tan, Fadzlishah Johanabas Rosli, Lee Yew Leong and Jason Erik Lundberg, Lee Yew Leong examining the mise en abyme in A.S. Byatt's Matisse Stories, reviews of Double Skin, Boey Kim Cheng and Gilbert Koh, and the Acid Tongue looks at Theatreworks's Edinburgh Festival flop.
Vol. 8 No. 3 Jul 2009 - City and Culture
Poems by Judith Huang, Lee Yew Leong, Eddie Tay and Christian Tablazon, short stories by Nazry Bahrawi, O Thiam Chin, Nirmala Iswari and Damyanti Ghosh, Gwee Li Sui looking at a recent parliamentary citation of Voltaire, an audio recording by Bani Haykal, night-time photographs of Seoul, and the Acid Tongue looks at Tom Cho having his culture popped.
Vol. 8 No. 2 Apr 2009 - Nice Work If You Can Get It
Poems by Arthur Leung, Yeow Kai Chai, Cyril Wong, Jill Jones and Erik Ta, short stories by Wena Poon, Caroline Baab and Gordon J. Reynolds, a review of Simon Tay's City of Small Blessings, a painting by Ernest Williamson III, and the Acid Tongue looks at Rachel Cusk getting a little too much Tuscan sunshine.
Vol. 8 No. 1 Jan 2009 - Crunch Time
Poems by Rodrigo V. Dela Peña, Reid Mitchell, Bernard Henrie and Erik Ta, short stories by Lee Yew Leong, O Thiam Chin and Timothy Yang, an essay by Suchen Christine Lim on the contest for Singapore's urban future, a review of A Field Guide to Surreal Botany, a review of Flare, and the Acid Tongue declawing The White Tiger.
Vol. 7 No. 4 Oct 2008 - If resources were no object
Poems by Michelle Cahill, Devika Rege, Lee Yew Leong and Gianni Marchetti, short stories by James Stark and Damon Chua, an essay on reading Ashbery by Christopher Mulrooney, a review of Toh Hsien Min's Means to an End, a play by Brennan Kwa, and the Acid Tongue on A.A. Gill.
Vol. 7 No. 3 Jul 2008 - Pages and Cages
Poems by Adam Aitken, Bernard Henrie and four Italian poets, short stories by Michael Fessler, Roberto Drummond and Abhishek Mehrotra, an essay on the strangeness of English by Jean Tan, a review of Pranav S. Joshi's Behind a Cultural Cage, a photographic travelogue by Amy Lai, theatre reviews by Richard Lord and Amos Toh, and the Acid Tongue.
Vol. 7 No. 2 Apr 2008 - Rewards and Responsibilities
Poems by Jeffery Lee, Daniel Andersson, Neha Sood, and Rodrigo V. Dela Peña Jr, short stories by Joson Ng, Pek Wen Jie, Robert Raymer and G.J. Reynolds, an essay on the influence of Keats by Boey Kim Cheng, reviews of Wena Poon's Lions In Winter and the Australia-Singapore anthology Over There, a photography selection by Stephen Black, and the Acid Tongue.
Vol. 7 No. 1 Jan 2008 - Firing Up The Engine Again
Poems by Arthur Yap, Regina Derieva, Ed Higgins and Judith Huang, short stories by The Illusionist - National Short Story Writing Contest winners, an essay on Euripides' Bacchae, review of Ng Yi-Sheng's Last Boy, interview with playwright Huzir Sulaiman, the usual theatre reviews, and the Acid Tongue.
Vol. 6 No. 2 Jan 2007 - Que Sais-Je
Poems by Richard Hillman, Koh Tsin Yen, Michelle Lim and Jal Nicholl, short stories by Paul Tan and Kirsten Han, an essay on linguistic exile in Shirley Lim, review of Wong Phui Nam's Collected Poems, the usual theatre reviews, and the Acid Tongue.
Vol. 6 No. 1 Oct 2006 - Visual Purple
Poems by Adam Aitken, Yeow Kai Chai, Heng Siok Tian and Felix Cheong, short stories by Paul Tan, Yong Shu Hoong, Bryan Swan and Sharanya Manivannan, an essay on Singapore architecture in the media, reviews of Yeow Kai Chai, Paul Tan and Vivienne Yeo, the usual theatre reviews, and the Acid Tongue.
Vol. 5 No. 4 Jul 2006 - The Vacuum of Loss
Poems by Terry Jaensch, Koh Beng Liang, Jason Wee and Teng Qian Xi, short stories by Gary Langford, Alfie Lee and Hari Kumar, an essay and an editorial on Arthur Yap, the usual theatre reviews and one hard rock review, and the Acid Tongue.
Vol. 5 No. 3 Apr 2006 - Ballot The Blue Sky
Poems by Sid Gómez Hildawa, Nicholas Liu, Neha Sood and Stephan B. Delbos, short stories by Lynn Huang, Louis Malloy and Tham Yoke Peng, essays on the tragedy of the democratic state by Ken Kwek and the tragedy of the state of poetry in Singapore by Leonard Ng, reviews of Shirley Lim's Sister Swing and Sid Gómez Hildawa's Regarding Space, the usual theatre reviews and the Acid Tongue.
Vol. 5 No. 2 Jan 2006 - Nevertheless
Poems by Teng Qian Xi, Koh Tsin Yen, Cheong Lee San, Kent MacCarter and Musa Karim, short story by Tania de Rozario, essay on views of Japan by Lynn Huang, reviews of Yong Shu Hoong's Frottage, the usual theatre reviews and the Acid Tongue.
Vol. 5 No. 1 Oct 2005 - The Upside of Risk
Poems by Darran Anderson, Ng Shing Yi, Ng Yi-Sheng, Khoo Peng-Ean, Keith Flynn and Kevin Simmonds, short stories by Daren Shiau, Chan Ziqian and Joji Jacob, essay on Akira Kurosawa's Ran by Ng Teng Kuan, reviews of Interlogue 5, The Secret Goldfish and Other Follies, The Flight of the Swans, Kafka on the Shore and more, the usual theatre reviews and the Acid Tongue.
Vol. 4 No. 4 Jul 2005 - Knocking At Midnight
Poems by Pat Galvin, Stephen Oliver, Lincoln O'Neill, Cyril Wong, Yeow Kai Chai and Edlyn Ang, short stories by Chan Ziqian, Michael Hu and Ioannis Gatsiounis, essay on Aeschylus by Ken Kwek, review of Sense of the Inevitable, review of modern Chinese artist Mu Xin, Richard Lord's theatre reviews and the Acid Tongue.
Vol. 4 No. 3 Apr 2005 - Fundamental Stress
Poems by Tim Keane, Allan Johnston, Kirby Wright, Linda Benninghoff and Koh Tsin Yen, short stories by Marshall J. Getz, Peter Vaudry-Brown and John Gorman, essay by Ken Kwek, reviews of fiftythree/zerothree, A Lover's Soliloquy, From Where I'm Standing, Cleavage and Never Let Me Go, interview with Michael Chiang, Richard Lord's theatre reviews and an Acid Tongue special on the Singapore Dance Theatre.
Vol. 4 No. 2 Jan 2005 - Passions and Insecurities
Poems by Michael Fessler, Bridget-Rose Lee, Rachel Curzon, Cyril Wong and Ma Shaoling, short stories by Rachel Curzon and Corey Mesler, essay by Farah Aida, reviews of idea to ideal, Cloud Atlas, and Malaysian and Filipino poetry, interview with Anchee Min, Richard Lord's theatre reviews and more.
Vol. 4 No. 1 Oct 2004 - No Guiltless Territory
Poems by Yong Shu Hoong, Joanne Leow, Thomas Lowe Taylor, Bryan Thao Worra and Grace Chua, short stories by Charles Lowe, Robert Yeo, Joji Jacob and Serena Alibhai, essays by John Rothfork and Masturah Alatas, review of Madeleine Marie Slavick, interviews with Lynne Truss and Mark Billingham, the usual theatre reviews and more.
Vol. 3 No. 4 Jul 2004 - Content(Manage)ment
Poems by Amari Hamadene, Madeleine Marie Slavick, Jan Oskar Hansen and Bridget-Rose Lee, short stories by Daren Shiau, Neil Grimmett and Tom Thompson, essay by Tan Wee Cheng, reviews of Poems of the Masters, Kee Thuan Chye, Mani Rao and Rebecca Edwards, interview with Goenawan Mohamad, and the usual theatre reviews and more.
Vol. 3 No. 3 Apr 2004 - Moving On Up
Poems by Koh Tsin Yen, Ng Teng Kuan, Brandon Lee, Kirby Wright and Oswald LeWinter, short stories by Marshall J. Getz, G.J. Reynolds and Jerry Vilhotti, reviews of Contouring, unmarked treasure, The Sea in Blossom and Sanskrit of the Body, interviews with Frieda Hughes and Adam Williams, reviews of Singapore theatre, among others.
Vol. 3 No. 2 Jan 2004 - Back on the Chaingang
Poems by Grace Chua, Cyril Wong, Gilbert Koh, Edlyn Ang and Ken Lee, short stories by Chan Ziqian, Joji Jacob and Yongsoo Park, essay by Ronald Klein, reviews of The Gunpowder Trail and Other Stories, The Ocean of Ambition, Alternative (Post)Modernity: An Asian Perspective and Losing Oneself in Remote Asia, interview with Bernardine Evaristo, reviews of Singapore theatre, among others.
Vol. 3 No. 1 Oct 2003 - The Great Unravelling
Poems by Mark Pirie, W.B. Keckler, Ronny Someck, Oswald LeWinter and Charles Lowe, short stories by Chan Ziqian, Neil Grimmett and Daren Shiau, essays by Ng Teng Kuan, Amy Lai, Miguel Jaime Ongpin and Toh Hsien Min, review of a single headlamp, reviews of Singapore drama, among others.
Vol. 2 No. 4 Jul 2003 - At a Crossroads
Poems by Amjad Nasser, D.J. Huppatz, Alvin Pang, Grace Chua and Stephen Oliver, short story by Ng Shing Yi, essays by Ng Shing Yi, Lee Seow Ser and Amy Lai, reviews of City of Rain, No Visitors Allowed, Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover, PIE to SPOILT and The Manic Memoirs of Terry Ho, reviews of Singapore Arts Festival and local drama, among others.
Vol. 2 No. 3 Apr 2003 - Liberation and Deliberation
Poems by Zhang Ruihe, Eugene Datta, Ng Shing Yi and Yeow Kai Chai, short stories by Desmond Kwok and Ma Shaoling, essays by Daniel de Roulet and Wendy Gan, reviews of From Boys to Men, Broken By The Rain, People Like Us and Life and Death in Changi, interview with Felix Cheong, reviews of Singapore drama and performance art, among others.
Vol. 2 No. 2 Jan 2003 - Render Unto Caesar
Vol. 2 No. 1 Oct 2002 - Bounded in a Nutshell
Poems by Angeline Yap, Gilbert Koh, Jerome Kugan, Aaron Lee, Alvin Pang, short stories by Wena Poon, Sheri Kristen Goh and Bonnie J. Glover, essays by Teng Qian Xi and Alice Mendoza, reviews of dowhile, last three women, Singapore Literature: A Critical Reader, more Singapore drama, among others.
Vol. 1 No. 4 Jul 2002 - Home and Away
Poems by Koh Jee Leong, Joanne Leow, Chris Mooney Singh, short stories by Eileen Chew, Ng Shing-Yi and Eugene Datta, essays by Gui Wei Hsin and Toh Hsien Min, reviews of Maiden, The Merlion and the Hibiscus and Postmodern Singapore, interviews with Stella Kon and Haresh Sharma, Singapore Arts Festival Special, among others.
Vol. 1 No. 3 Apr 2002 - The New Babel
Poems by Leonard Schwartz, Felix Cheong, Gilbert Koh, Karen Low, short stories by Cyril Wong and Michael Chu, essay by Zia Zaman, review of Got Singapore!, interview with Alvin Pang and Yong Shu Hoong, among others.
Vol. 1 No. 2 Jan 2002 - On the rebound
Poems by Stephen Pain, Wendy Gan, Cyril Wong, Daren Shiau, short stories by Agnes Lam and Hong Wee, essays by Eddie Tay and Cyril Wong, review of The End of His Orbit, interview with David Mitchell, among others.
Vol. 1 No. 1 Oct 2001 - The horror the horror
Poems by John Tranter, Arthur Yap, Alvin Pang, Yeow Kai Chai, Gilbert Koh, essays by Eddie Tay and Tan Hwee Hwee, reviews of Electric Light and The Beauty of the Husband, our first instalments of The Singaporean Poem and The Classic Poem, among others.
Beta Issue - Pushing the envelope
This slim issue containing poems by new voices and an interview with Bob Perelman kicks off the QLRS site.